A Collage of Bedrooms

Thankfully our kids are pretty resilient. They don’t complain about much, and seem to have faith in us. It is all just a big adventure.

The rooms of our Hamilton do up were pretty grotty. I believe the previous owners had rented out the bedrooms to anyone and everyone. The bedroom doors had dents, extra locks and even a periscope! Some of the hinges were damaged. I’m not sure what happened but I felt sorry for the house.

It needed some love and TLC. The doors got dumped!

After weeks of sanding, painting and repairing, the bedrooms finally resembled those of a happy home.

Real Estate’s False advertising

Isn’t it amazing how you can fall in love with a property online, and then when you go to the open home you wonder if you are in the right place! With the use of filters and the right lens the real estate agent can portray even the most dark and dingy of properties as sleek and stylish. In the advertised photo the bathroom appears a very bright white, when in actual fact it was a grubby pale yellow.

Replacing the vinyl would have been such a mission, as the Hardie Glaze wall lining sheets would have had to of be removed, and replaced, which was way out of our budget.

I removed the ugly cabinet, which intruded into the toilets personal space, and the broken heated towel rail. It was time to call a tradee.

Replacing the toilet and installing a pedestal basin were not in my list of skills, and so a plumber was required.

The plumber found numerous open pipes, which should have been capped by a previous plumber. These open pipes are unhygienic and can attract rats into the home, as we found out, uncovering the remains of a rather large rat nest. It was not pretty.

 

My crappy plumber knew that I was going to patch up the holes left in the gib, and yet he left pipes protruding out of the wall. My DIY skills are limited, and the tools I had available did not include anything that I could use to cut a brass pipe, and so I had to get the apprentice plumber’s supervisor to come back to cut back the pipes and to cap them. Weird I thought to of left them uncapped as we had uncovered others in that state that he had fixed up.

The toilet had a cistern within the wall cavity, so I opened the wall from outside, and removed it, repairing the external wall in the process.

With a coat of paint on the walls and ceiling the bathroom was complete. A functional clean and tidy family bathroom.

Recycling the deck

The entrance to our do up property was a bit of a mess.

The deck had been made to accommodate wheel chair access, but the ramp was now not only an eye sore but unsafe. The wood had rotten and warped. A fibreglass pond full of stagnant water offered a continuous supply of moisture and mosquitoes.

The weed matting was poorly laid, and prevented the existing plants from gaining any nutrients from the natural mulch.

The first thing to do was to take to it with a sledge hammer.

We found that at some stage, a second layer of wood had been placed over the top of the worn and weathered decking timber. We managed to salvage enough wood to create a new, smaller deck. We removed the nails, flipped it, and cut it to size, after replacing a few of the buggered joists.

With a coat of black decking timber paint, it didn’t look as good as new, but was a huge improvement to what was once there. The aim was to make the house a nice place to live, while on a very tight budget. The next owner will be able to add their own touch.

To create a private courtyard, we built a fence and a rather large gate. I wanted the entrance to be rather inconspicuous, adding to the secret garden feel.

The pergola got a lick of paint, and the plants got a prune.

A massive overhaul of the landscaping had us making many trips to the rubbish dump!